Now, the question is, how should I set this up? I've been considering that for a while, and I've been pretty nervous about it, but I've come up with some ideas. I still have no idea how to set the monetary amounts for the most part, but I thought that today I'd come to you all for feedback on what goals sound most compelling, and what rewards you'd be most interested in. Here's what I've got so far!
- Cut back hours at my day job
- New art with every update
- Hire on a specialized writer to help with expanding options, variety, and reflection of things like species, anatomy, and dominance to existing scenes
- Second tier rewards
- Further cut back day job hours
- Regular Livestreams?
- Two new pieces of art every update
- Switch from official update every three months to every two (meaning pushing for more content faster, and new art every month as well)
- Third tier rewards
The Reward Tiers was an idea I had that I'm not too sure about. Some rewards would take a lot of extra work, and if only one or two supporters take it, or if I'm not getting much support in general, it wouldn't really be worth the time it takes me away from MVOL. So I was considering offering the option to start with a basic set of rewards, and then if I get a lot of support, I'd expand to offer higher tier rewards as well as add a little more value to some of my lower support slots. I'm not sure how much support people would actually be looking to give, so I'm spitballing a lot here.
I used to do Livestream now and then in the past, but it was rather stressful and not all that popular. I was considering offering it as something I'd start doing on the regular, partly as a way of forcing myself to write during those times with everyone watching, and I feel like maybe if it does get pushed into existence by a sufficient level of Patreon support, maybe more people would watch! But I'm still pretty worried that I'd end up running a Livestream and maybe two people would show up, but then I'd be stuck doing them over and over anyway because I promised.
- $2: Cheat-enabled copy of the game (the standard donator reward, just given as a subscription, equivalent to roughly a $5 donation per version)
- $10: Advance access to the official release (equivalent to the early access donators get to the next version when they donate $25 or more)
- See new art commissioned for the game early
- Lith's Diary? (an exclusive, monthly newsletter from Lith talking about silly stuff)
- Patreon-Exclusive Deluxe Version? (As a high-end reward, get a copy of the game that's higher resolution and with redone, prettier interface? "Shiny" version.)
The other "silly thing" I thought of was to give you the equivalent of buying a hat in TF2: a vanity item. The "deluxe" version of MVOL might not be strictly better besides being higher resolution, but it would look nice, and it would be rare!
- Monthly Mini-Update (get an exclusive copy of the game with a sneak peek into the rough draft of whatever content I've created this month)
- Lith Stories (every month, I write a short, cute story exclusively for these supporters about Lith, whether from before the void, in the void, or after...?)
- Spoilers Answered (every month, send me a question, and no matter how spoilerific, I'll answer it honestly, and briefly, in private. Keep Lith's secrets!)
- Petre's Secret Stash (every month, get a newsletter from Petre with tips on how to find secret scenes or use the cheats to best effect)
- Name Game (get a custom-made version of the game just for you, in which Lith actually knows your name --you send me the name you want to go by-- and calls you by it in the game)
It's an intentional part of the design that your name isn't really spelled out anywhere, and obviously you don't get to enter your name normally, but I thought that if players really wanted, I could make an exception where, just for you, because you're such a generous supporter, Lith knows your name by heart.
- Raffle: Ask Lith (Every month, one or a few people selected at random from this group can send Lith their refs, personal descriptions and so forth, and ask him one personal question. Like, say, "do you find me attractive?" or "how would you like to be my pet?" or "would you like to go on an adventure with me?" or just about anything you can think of, and Lith will answer!)
- Daily Sneak Peek (Whenever I write any new content at all for MVOL, I'll send it to these supporters in text files. They'll be the first to see what's new with Lith before me, myself.)
And it doesn't get any more supporter-oriented than going straight from my pen to your screen!
Alright! That's everything I've got so far. Which of these ideas sound really exciting to you? Which sound boring, or like they might be more work for me to do than they'd really be worth when I could be working on MVOL instead? A lot of Patreon pages don't actually have all that many rewards from what I've seen, so I have the feeling I need to trim this down by a TON xP But even so, if you have any ideas for other kinds of rewards or milestones you'd like to see, please let me know! I'd hate to let a good idea go unheard until after I've already got this all set up and people (hopefully) start signing up!
I'm pretty excited about this, and a little scared it'll all crash and burn! Share your thoughts, and maybe we can make this support system something awesome itself! :3