Saturday, May 4, 2019

v0.40 is Live!


Tons to talk about today!

First off, if you haven't seen already: I have a new website! This is the last update I'll be posting to this blog, so make sure to head over to Lithier.com, bookmark it, subscribe by email, add me to your feed, follow me on Twitter, whatever you gotta do to stay up to date with the news about MVOL and any games I'll be working on after that!

I have a wild mix of news about the new version going out today. First off, the bad news: we left v0.39 with a bit of a cliffhanger, and no, The End is not in this update. As I often do, I'm pausing between sections of story content to add more side stuff. Sorry to keep you all in anticipation! If it's any consolation, this extra time to listen to everyone's feedback and thoughts so far and really think over what I want this ending to be and what I think everyone's expecting has helped a lot with really refining my ideas for it into something I think we'll all be happier with.

Next, the alarming news: this update is another Weird One. I've already compared it on Twitter to how nervous I felt about the first Stone Door update way back in the day, because it is a big, crazy twist to the feel of the game, and some people are probably gonna hate it, but I'm hoping that others will love it. There's a big community out there that's been asking me for more X, and uh... well, some of them probably still won't like this, but others may find this is exactly what they've been craving. I'm expecting this update to be polarizing, and I'll get into that more below.

Now, the confusing news: what the hell is this update already!! Well, that's the trick. v0.40 is The Hidden Update. There's a very large chunk of new content ready that I've been working super hard on, partly because I intended it to be even bigger and laid out all the groundwork for that, but I ran out of time to get all the content done. However, this big chunk of new content is all hidden! Which is pretty hard to do in a text game, arguably. This section of the game is supposed to be a big surprise you eventually run into just when you're not expecting it as you're doing your first few playthroughs, and I feel like if I just spell it out for you guys how to find it, that'll ruin a lot of that experience for you.

So instead of right out telling you where the main new content is, I'm gonna talk about it a little more, and hopefully this'll give you enough hints to point you in the right direction. The truth is, I've been intending to add this content for a LONG time. I knew it'd be added, at least as a small thing, very early in the game's development, and I put a placeholder in the game for it that maybe hinted at what this section would ultimately be like. But! I got such a strong reaction to the placeholder that, in the end, I couldn't bring myself to get rid of it entirely. So now, I've decided to keep both the "placeholder" and the new content in the game. New players are more likely to see the placeholder first, but if you have at least 100 points and have been through the Stone Door at least once, you'll find the new content where the placeholder has been until now.

Now, I think that should be enough to point most folks that have played the game a good amount in the right direction, and I'd encourage you to go play a bit yourself and see if you can't find it. The surprise when you do find it is part of the experience! But if you just can't figure it out, I've spelled out the last piece of the puzzle here. Please only use it as a last resort!

Now, I'll be talking more about this hidden content below, but I'm not gonna give any spoilers. First, though, there's some more, somewhat unrelated news about this update!

As usual, two new pieces of art have been added to this update. One is actually right in that hidden content! The other is a piece I'm really happy with that I got for what a lot of my fans have described as their favorite part of the game so far. Happy hunting!

The one addition for this update that isn't hidden in some way or another is the new content voted in by mysupporters! The Imitation Soda has been upgraded to now be available “both ways,” and doing it the other way can go one of three different ways in the end. Hope you guys will have some fun with that! Thanks to the voters for bringing this scene into the game!

And the last big addition with this update is the new Super Cheats! For high-level supporters, the game truly becomes Your Very Own Lith. Not only does Lith know you by name, but you'll now have access to a powerful suite of new cheats that you can access at any time to change a bunch of variables directly, on the fly, and see how that changes the scene you're looking at. You'll also have the ability to quickly “rewind” to the last few decisions you made in the game, which should make exploring all the game's content a lot easier and faster. This one has been a big challenge, and I hope it'll entice some folks that were on the fence to jump in and be a big part of this project!

On a side note, I've made a few adjustments to the game with this update as well. Cheat versions now start at 100 points instead of 50 to help with finding the new content, but the “Magic Book” has been removed, as it wasn't very useful to begin with, and mostly confused people more than it really did any good. The Completionist's Map at a higher tier level does the job a million times better. Also, the art archive has bumped up to three pages to contain all this awesome art, and I've renamed one of the achievements because, somehow, I hadn't noticed that two of them had the same name for a long time. D'oh!

Alright! That's it for news about the update, but I still have a few things to talk about, starting with the big chunk of new, hidden content. Again, no spoilers! But I know that this is going to be a polarizing addition, and I'm not really sure how it's going to fall in terms of people that like it vs. people that hate it. It's not complete yet, and at this point I'm not sure if I should try and “wrap it up quick,” or if a lot of people want to see “the whole thing.” I originally intended it to be pretty small, but trying to do it right has turned it into a lot more content than I'd expected years ago.

So! I want to hear from all of you, once you've played through the new content! What did you think? I want to get everyone's vote on how you felt about the new contenthere! There's also a space for comments so you can give feedback without spoiling it for everyone else. Please share your thoughts, whether they're good, bad, or meh! I'd like to hear from as much of the community as I can.

To tell the truth, I don't only want people's feedback to see how far I should go with this section of content. This has partly turned into a sort of experiment with ideas I've had percolating in the back of my head for a while. I have about a million ideas for new games that I'd love to make, and one of them shares some themes with this new content, and I kinda used this area as a testing ground for some of the ideas from that concept. So I'm very interested to hear your thoughts on what works and what doesn't!

Next, a small announcement/reminder: I'm still writing stories! MVOL is my main focus these days, but sometimes it's nice to write something a little more casual (and often a lot more fetishistic) on the side, and when I finish up a little story, I post it around on SoFurry, FurAffinity, and InkBunny. I generally consider SoFurry the best place to find my stories, though you'll need an account to actually find my work, as it hides adult stuff from guests. FA doesn't allow some of my stories, and SF just provides the best experience for reading from what I've seen. I just posted a new story a couple weeks back that I was pretty happy with as a peculiar little emotional experience, exploring the idea of vore from a slightly different angle.

And lastly, a note for clarification: yes, the “playable preview” I posted right on the cusp of the beginning of April was, in fact, an April Fool's joke. This was another idea I've been hanging on to for a long time, and I kinda wish I'd done it a year or two earlier, but at least this way I shouldn't have to worry about too many people seeing it that haven't gotten through the whole Stone Door already. Sorry to anyone that was disappointed this maybe wasn't what they were expecting! It was a little bit of a tease for those that are always asking for a “fourth route,” because I've made it clear several times that there are only ever going to be three. Lith's dominance is compatible with all three routes, and has a slightly different feel for each of them. Please enjoy getting used by a cat in the flavor of your choice!

Phew! This was a long one! Big thanks to everyone that's read through all this, and also to everyone for playing my game! I know it can be a weird trip at times, and I appreciate your putting up with my hijinks. I hope a healthy portion of you enjoy the new content!

7 comments:

  1. Don't get me wrong I love this game, but I just wish you would stop being so goddamn vague all the time. Every time you update i'm just confused and don't know whether to be excited or not. Could you just tell us what new content you've added? I didn't come here to solve your riddles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm generally fairly straightforward about explaining new content, just that I try to avoid spoilers, so I keep it to a pretty simple explanation like "the second section is available for the final chapter," which for anyone that's played all of the game, will be pretty obvious in its meaning. In this way, people that haven't gotten to the Doors yet won't have too much spoiled for them, so much as get a hint that they have a lot of catching up to do.

      This update is a little unusual in that the new content is specifically meant to be something of a surprise, that's part of the experience. But I feel like I both leave a buttload of hints AND literally give you a link that spells out how to find the new content. Taking that into account, I've more directly told you how to find the new content in this update than in any other.

      If you're talking about describing specifically WHAT the new content involves, that sounds to me kinda like trying to get an author to tell you who wins the big battle in a book, or whether there's a happy ending. The fun of reading, as I understand it, is that you don't always know what's coming. I try to make it enjoyable for most people no matter what's going on, but when I know it's only going to be comfortable for some people, I generally make a good effort to make it obvious what's coming so people can "pull out" before it's too late. Such is the case here, as well.

      I'm sorry if keeping up with my updates has been frustrating, but I'm trying to offer this entertainment as a commodity that's carefully packaged to maximize enjoyment and a memorable experience, not something to be easily consumed or dismissed with minimal effort. To an extent, I do want you to engage with the work and "risk" your time to see what comes of it. That's part of what makes a game different, and arguably more immediately engaging and stimulating, than just reading a book. I've worked hard to build a sense of trust with my players that I can craft an experience that, even if it's sometimes strange or uncomfortable, is still exciting and stimulating to explore in full.

      So... no. I'm not going to spell everything out for everyone, because I think that would lessen the experience. This update brings a very new, different, and for some people, exciting experience. I feel like it would have been less so if I'd spelled it all out ahead of time, and maybe some of them even would've said "ooh, I dunno, that doesn't sound like it's for me" and not tried it, but now that they have, they've enjoyed it. That's one of my favorite moments as a writer and a game designer, and I'm gonna hold on to that.

      I wish you the best of luck with finding entertainment that suits your needs.

      Delete
    2. Hi, sorry about that last comment. I was just in a bad mood after some job issues. I do understand that this game (and your writing) is all about the experience.

      I was more so talking about all the previous updates, wherein I would read all the blog and not really know what you added to where and end up skimming through the entire game again.

      Either way I did enjoy what you added to the new update and am glad your enjoying it. Again, sorry for the last comment.

      Delete
    3. Hey, you're not the first to voice some frustration with the "mystery," so I felt like it needed to be addressed ^.^; I'm sorry to hear you had a rough day.

      I try to make most of my update posts fairly straightforward in terms of what big chunks of content I added, but if you feel like it hasn't been clear enough, I may have to try being a touch more explicit in that regard. I feel like if you've played through most of the game, you should be able to understand where the "end of the current content" is, to easily guess what I mean when I add something to the main storyline.

      Admittedly, I'm purposefully quite vague about where the new art is. It's meant to be a reward for exploring thoroughly, after all, and the fact is that the vast majority of players have only seen maybe 75% of the game's actual content, max, before they decide they've "seen it all." That's why I like giving players a reason to explore all around again, maybe they'll do things different and find something new pop up where they weren't expecting.

      In any case, I'm glad you enjoyed the new content! Thanks for taking the time to give feedback. I wasn't angry at you (and wouldn't be even if I knew who you are :P), just took it as an excuse to rant about my reasoning. Anyway, hope you feel better from here!

      Delete
  2. Is it possible to dominate Petre currently or in the future?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, he asked me the same question about you.

      Delete
    2. Well, you can tell him I'm a top, so I'm really only interested in dominating him.

      Delete